Thursday 6 October 2016

Secondary Research - Sight & Sound

Focusing on The Social Network I have chosen to look at the Sight & Sound Magazine and look at the review for the film. This will help me to see what was successful in the film, particular the adaptation of the true story. In the review by Henry K. Miller he says that film is a scripted perfectly and is the a suspense driven film. However, in none of the review does he mention the fact that the film is based off of true events, or at least he doesn't state that the film is upholding of the real events. Therefore this source isn't very useful in helping me to conclude my title.



However, looking at the Sight & Sound article for Apollo 13, it relates to my topic really well. Written by Martin Walker, he says "best publicity vehicle NASA has known in decades". This tells me that NASA respect the film as a whole to well replicate the real events if they use it for their own publicity. He then goes into detail saying that the film used every resource availed to make it look as "right" and "authentic" as possible, using NASA equipment as a result. From reading the article it comes to my attention that the film is a great way of immersing the "American Dream" on the audience and how NASA is deserving of endless funds. One quote that backs my title is "history made real" this shows me that the film is trying to replicate the real events of 1970. However, as the article says "NASA put up with some distortions from history" but these were small parts of the film, which were merely changed due to artistic license. I feel that this source is reliable and I will be going g back to article for more information.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment